Male Sexual Health
What is Male Sexual Dysfunction?
Male sexual dysfunction is an umbrella term for any issues that inhibit sexual satisfaction. Although male sexual dysfunction is a widespread problem that can affect men of all ages, it’s increasingly common as men age.
There are a few main types of male sexual dysfunction. They include:
- Erectile dysfunction. Also known as ED, this occurs when a male is unable to get and maintain an erection during intercourse.
- Reduced interest in sex. Lower desire for sex is often linked with lowered levels of testosterone. This male hormone is critical to sperm production and sex drive. Mental conditions such as depression or relationship difficulty can also negatively influence sex drive.
- Premature ejaculation. Factors that could influence premature ejaculation include stress, depression, or poor self-confidence.
- Inhibited or delayed ejaculation. Chronic health problems, side effects from prescription medications, or surgery could contribute to the male sexual dysfunction of inhibited or delayed ejaculation.
Causes of Male Sexual Dysfunction
The causes of male sexual dysfunction include but are not limited to:
- Concern about sexual performance, past sexual trauma
- Relationship problems
- Work-related stress or anxiety
- Low hormone (testosterone) levels
- Prescribed drugs, such as those used for antidepressants or blood pressure
- Harding of the arteries and high blood pressure
- Nerve damage or stroke
- Alcoholism and drug abuse
Diagnosing Male Sexual Dysfunction
In consultation with our specialists, we will gather information about your symptoms and evaluate further with physical examination and related blood testing. This will help us diagnose your problem and determine the best course of treatment
Treatments for Male Sexual Dysfunction
There are a variety of treatments for male sexual dysfunction. The use of these treatments will vary based on the type and severity of your sexual dysfunction. The treatments may include:
- Bioidentical hormone balancing
- Prescription medication specific for ED such as Viagra, Cialis, and Levitra
- Prescription medication specific for PE
- Psychological counseling
- Mechanical aids, such as vacuum devices
- Regenerative medicine treatment using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and stem cells
- In all cases, treatment of any related underlying medical conditions or adjusting other medication causing sexual side effects will be stressed
Our clinic offers a unique PRP and stem cell injection to treat erectile dysfunction called “the Big D shot”, named after its original location of development – the Dallas metropolitan area. When standard medications are ineffective, this treatment may offer better and more lasting results.
If your sexual dysfunction is persistent, see our specialists immediately for a consultation.