Female Sexual Health
What is Female Sexual Dysfunction?
Female sexual dysfunction is a general term for several issues that inhibit sexual satisfaction.
There are a few main types of female sexual dysfunction. They include:
- Little to no desire to have sex. One of the more common types of female sexual dysfunction, women may lack interest or willingness to have sex.
- Lack of sexual arousal. Women may struggle to become aroused or maintain arousal during sex.
- Problems with orgasms. Even after being sexually aroused, some women have recurring challenges in achieving an orgasm.
- Pain occurring during sex. Some women experience pain upon sexual stimulation or vaginal penetration.
Causes of Female Sexual Dysfunction
The causes of female sexual dysfunction include but are not limited to:
- Fluctuation of hormones, especially from menopause or after giving birth
- Major illnesses, such as heart disease, cancer, and diabetes
- Prescription medications, like antidepressants or antihistamines
- Vaginal dryness or tightening
- Depression or anxiety
- A history of sexual abuse
- Conflicts with your sexual partner, relationship issues
Diagnosing Female Sexual Dysfunction
Before consulting with one of our specialists about female sexual dysfunction, it is important to make notes about your symptoms and medical history. Oftentimes there are medical conditions that contribute to sexual dysfunction. Our specialist will likely ask several questions about your sexual history and relationships to gather more information. A pelvic exam can also help the specialist check for physical changes that contribute to female sexual dysfunction.
Treatments for Female Sexual Dysfunction
There are a variety of treatments for female sexual dysfunction, including:
- Bioidentical hormonal therapy for complete hormone balancing
- Prescription medications such as ospemifene, prasterone, and filbanserin
- Custom compounded medications that enhance sexual sensation and satisfaction
- Devices to provide stimulation, such as a vibrator
- The Fem-shot, a regenerative medicine treatment using platelet-rich plasma (PRP) and stem cells
- Treatment of any other underlying medical conditions contributing to sexual dysfunction
The use of these treatments will vary based on the type and severity of the sexual dysfunction.
Our clinic offers a unique PRP injection for treatment of female sexual dysfunction called the Fem-shot. This is a regenerative medicine therapy that uses plasma from your own blood to repair and regrow damaged tissues that results in increased libido, improved ability to reach and intensify orgasm, and resolution of vaginal dryness and thinning.
If your sexual dysfunction is consistent, see our specialists as soon as possible for a consultation.